Art - Design Emphasis - Associate in Science
This degree reflects serious, sustained study and achievement in foundational concepts of two-dimensional arts and graphic design. Hands-on studio practice, digital media skills and art history courses are required to fully engage students in the language of the visual arts and to introduce students to various theoretical approaches of art and design. Students must complete each major course and major elective course with a grade of ‘C’ or better to be awarded the degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Describe and analyze works of art and design using vocabulary specific to the visual arts.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in handling various art and design materials, such as cutting tools, pasting options, duplicating processes, various drawing and painting media, digital media software, presentation materials and the health and safety standards related to these materials.
- Demonstrate technical skills in drawing, including drawing naturalistically from the observed world, drawing from the imagination, and applying systems of linear perspective.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the elements and principles of art and design and the dynamics of composition.
- Formulate works of art and design culling from various visual resources.
- Compose works of art and design using computer software programs.
- Demonstrate proficiency in critical thinking, problems solving, group interaction, and self-discipline to create works of art and design.
- Analyze how form affects content in works of art and implement design changes to strengthen this relationship.
- Evaluate their work and the work of others in terms of how art and design are a reflection of what we value, personally, socially and culturally.
|ART 012||Two Dimensional Design||3|
|ART 013||Three Dimensional Design||3|
|ART 014||Color Theory||3|
|ART 024||Beginning Drawing||3|
|ART 035||Graphic Design I||3|
|ART 039||Introduction to Digital Video||3|
|ART 055A||Life Drawing I||3|
|ART 076A||Art and Design Portfolio Preparation||3|
|ART 091||Survey of Art History: Prehistoric Through Gothic||3|
|ART 092||Survey of Art History: Renaissance to the Present||3|
|Select 6 units from the following:||6|
|Digital Filmmaking: Camera Techniques, Lighting and Sound|
|Life Drawing II|
|General Education Requirements||21|