Dance - Certificate of Specialization
The Certificate of Specialization in Dance is an opportunity for students to grow and develop in the area of Dance. The certificate includes a lecture class as well as various genres and levels of dance technique. Students will learn both Beginning and Intermediate skills in Modern, Jazz and Social (Ballroom) dance techniques. Focus will be on foundation, form, alignment, flexibility, technique, body awareness, phrasing, musicality, loco-motor patterns of movement, choreography and performance in each of the styles. Students will also learn about the background and history of Dance by taking Dance Appreciation. The Certificate will enhance the students' knowledge in history while simultaneously giving practical experience and guidance to the dancer. Students will gain a strong foundation in an array of dance genres. This certificate is recommended for students who want to enhance their skills in dance, teach dance at a studio or possibly major or minor in dance.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Critically compare various dance genres on the basis of movement, historic context, and as an expression of self and culture.
- Apply proper posture, alignment, foundation, vocabulary, and performance quality to a variety of dance techniques.
- Demonstrate effective communication, behavior and teamwork necessary for artistic collaboration and group work within a population of varied backgrounds.
- Create and perform original dance choreography using the principles of composition in class or for a live public performance.
- Demonstrate proper dance vocabulary and theatre etiquette as a student, performer or audience member.